Women tend to breakout quite a bit during pregnancy. This is due to an imbalance of hormones which triggers an overproduction of oil (sebum). Fortunately there are things you can do to minimize the breakouts and allow you to truly enjoy this time of celebration:
1. If you have oily hair, wash it daily with a gentle shampoo and conditioner. Keep your hair off your face during the day and while you sleep so the oils due not get onto your skin.
2. Cleanse and moisturize your face morning and night. Use a gentle cleanser like Cetaphil to minimize irritation to your already irritated skin.
3. Do not touch your face with your hands. The bacteria from your hands and fingers can increase acne on your face if they come in contact with each other.
4. Do not pop and pick at your acne. You will irritate your acne further and cause your pimples to open, becoming more painful sores which will take longer to heal. You also increase your chance of scarring.
5. Use oil-free and paraben-free skincare and cosmetics. Less oil and chemicals from products equals less oil and chemicals on your skin.
These simple tips will leave you feeling in control of your skin again. Do not fret…this temporary time of mild to moderate acne will pass once you have your little one! You are carrying a miracle inside of you – Such an amazing gift!