Acne is something that affects millions of people every day, around the world. It is painful physically and emotionally. Acne occurs when hair follicles become filled with oil and dead skin cells. And as quickly as you get rid of current pimples, new pimples and breakouts appear! Such a frustrating battle, physically AND emotionally. Here is an in-detail description of how acne forms:
1. Hair follicles on your skin become filled with oil, dirt, and dead skin cells. Hair follicles are connected to the sebaceous glands.
2. The sebaceous glands secrete an oily substance called sebum which lubricates your hair and skin. This sebum is normally supposed to up along the hair shafts and then leave through the opening of the hair follicles, which are also known as your pores, and onto your skin.
3. When the body produces too much sebum and dead skin cells, they build up in the hair follicles (pores) and this is where bacteria that causes acne is formed.
4. Once this area of the hair follicle is plugged with oil, dead skin cells, and bacteria-causing acne, the skin bulges up and forms a whitehead. It can also cause the plug to open widely to the surface and become darkened, causing a blackhead.
5. Pimples become appear and can become quite large, red, and inflamed when the plugged pore has become infected. Several pimples can form in the same area at one time if the sebum is released quite heavily in that given area.
Now you know how acne forms. The formation of acne is quite complex but can be treated. If you have moderate to severe acne and are in a lot of pain physically and emotionally, it is best to make an appointment to visit the dermatologist so you can be on the road to recovery in no time!