Anyone who suffers from acne wants it to go away the second that first breakout ever occurs. Unfortunately, it’s not something we can just “wish” away. Acne normally gets worse before it gets better. And sometimes acne decides to make what seems like a permanent home on our face for a several months up to a few years! No one should ever feel helpless when it comes to resolving this skin issue but most people do feel helpless. But do not fear we are here to give you some tried and true tips and home remedies that will clear your skin once and for all.
How Does Acne Form?
We have sebaceous glands that secrete oil known as sebum that regulate our pH levels in our skin and keep our skin moisturized. Sometimes the sebaceous glands can overproduce sebum which in turn creates oily skin. The excess sebum (oil) and acne-causing bacteria build up in the pores and can cause too much pressure on the pore walls causing them to rupture. When this happens, pimples form and spread quickly because the infected liquid leaks to other areas of the skin.
1. Cleanse your skin morning and night. EVERY MORNING AND NIGHT – DAILY. No excuses. It’s important and necessary to cleanse the skin twice daily to remove oil buildup and bacteria that builds on the skin throughout the day and in the morning. If you get lazy, you are increasing your chance of breaking out and prematurely aging your skin. Your pores need to stay clean and be able to breathe, especially at night when your skin restores itself while you sleep. Not cleansing your skin at night is allowing all the residue that settles in your skin during the day to trigger major breakouts.
2. Exfoliate a minimum of 3 times a week. Dead skin cells need to be removed gently through an exfoliation process to allow the pores to be unclogged of all the trapped bacteria and oil that settle under the dry skin. If something like St. Ive’s Peach Exfoliating Scrub is too rough on your skin (it’s rough on ours too!) then make your exfoliating scrub. Read below under Home Remedies on how to make your own gentle face and body scrub.
3. End your skincare routine with an oil-free moisturizer. Doing so will leave you less oily since it will help balance the pH levels of your skin and if you are dry, will give your skin needed moisture. Follow this step morning and night as well.
4. If you are 16 years old or older, girl or boy, man or woman, start using eye cream morning and night. You will thank us years later. Men start to freak out around 28 years old when they start getting wrinkles around their eyes. It’s not just a female thing.
5. Drink at least 8 glasses of clean water a day to flush toxins out of your body so they don’t exude through your skin.
Sugar Scrub – Using white cane sugar or brown sugar, combine with warm water or pure extra virgin olive oil and gently exfoliate your clean skin with this amazing scrub to remove cellular buildup. The sugar is gentle on your skin and won’t tear or irritate it and will literally melt into your skin. It will not clog your pores or cause further breakouts. If you choose olive oil instead of water, it will just give your skin added moisture to dehydrated skin. Rinse away with warm water then gently pat dry and apply an oil-free moisturizer.
Toothpaste – Apply toothpaste as a spot treatment on pimples before bed to dry them out while you sleep. Use a paste and not a gel since gel can irritate the skin. The main ingredient that can dry out pimples is calcium carbonate. Test out one pimple before applying on all pimples to make sure you don’t have an adverse reaction.
Pure Aloe Vera Gel– Aloe Vera is proven to have amazing anti-inflammatory benefits in addition to moisturizing dry skin. It is also proven to minimize scarring from acne or sun damage. You can purchase an Aloe Vera plant to use the gel from within the leaves or by purchasing a bottle of 100% pure Aloe Vera at a natural health food store. Add a teaspoon of pure Aloe Vera to a homemade smoothie or juice to heal your skin from the inside out.
Organic Fresh Lemon Juice – You can mix a few squeezes of fresh lemon juice into the sugar scrub listed above or dip a cotton ball into fresh lemon juice and apply all over your freshly cleansed skin. It works as a natural astringent/toner on your skin. It will balance the pH levels of your skin, reduce oil if you suffer from oily skin, and will even out your skin tone. Good skin doesn’t appear overnight. It may take up to a couple weeks to see positive results on your skin from following a proper skincare routine. If something doesn’t work for you, something else will! Don’t give up! Luckily we at Acne Skin Site are here to help you and offer many tips and tricks to try and finally get rid of your acne forever.