Apple cider vinegar is one of nature’s best kept secrets for your health…until recently. This type of vinegar has actually been around for centuries but has been used over the past few years to treat many ailments including acid reflux, diabetes, and obesity. Apple cider vinegar can benefit your overall health and skin in many ways but let’s first delve into where apple cider vinegar derives from.
What is Apple Cider Vinegar?
Apple Cider Vinegar is a type of vinegar that is made from pulverized apples. All types of vinegar go through a fermentation process in which the sugar is broken down by yeast and bacteria. In the first phase of fermentation, the sugars turn into alcohol and in the second phase, turn into vinegar which is why it tastes so sour. Acetic acid is the main ingredient in all vinegars, including apple cider vinegar. Unlike clear vinegars, this vinegar should only be purchased in its raw and organic form. Of course, if you are going to drink it, it MUST be diluted with water or it can be harmful to you due to its acidity.
Benefits for Skin
1. Proven to fight acne and help clear skin when used topically in a homemade toner or mixed with water and ingested.
2. High levels of acetic acid which is known to keep glucose levels lower after meals (imperative for keeping skin clear since large doses of sugar can worsen skin conditions).
3. Rich in malic acid which can make skin appear younger, even skin tone, and repair damaged skin
4. Improves digestion so the body can rid itself of dangerous toxins sooner than normal. Eliminating toxins will cleanse the body so it doesn’t affect other areas of the body, like the skin.
5. Loaded with potassium which is beneficial for overall health and keeps teeth and hair strong and beautiful.
6. Rich in ash so it balances and maintains the body’s pH levels which can aid in preventing skin from getting too oily.
How to Use It:
1) As a Toner. Make your own homemade facial toner to help regulate the pH levels of your skin, which can make your skin less oily while fighting acne. Mix one part apple cider vinegar with six parts water. Pour some on a cotton ball and gently rub it all over your freshly cleansed face, avoiding the eye area. After a couple minutes, you can then use an oil-free moisturizer. Remember the three steps: Cleanse, tone, moisturize twice daily.
2) As a Drink. There are a few creations you can come up with on your own but we have two to offer you. You can either dilute about 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with 12 ounces of water or try this tasty cocktail that will sweeten it up a bit all the while helping your body fight your against your acne:
2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar (organic and raw)
A squeeze of half an organic lemon for the juice
1 Teaspoon Pure Honey
12 ounces of pure clean water
Combine all the ingredients and let this drink heal your acne…from the inside out! Honey and lemon are proven to aid in working with the body to fight acne and are loaded with antioxidants and anti-microbial properties to help your skin become clear and glowing.
Don’t be frustrated if you haven’t found anything that works against your acne yet. Hopefully you will find relief with apple cider vinegar as long as you use it consistently. Your body may need a few weeks to adjust to a new routine and apple cider vinegar first needs to work to repair your health from the inside before you will start seeing results on your skin.