Sleep is crucial for living a healthy and well-balanced life. Lack of sleep is affecting millions of people daily and people are statistically getting less sleep than ever before. Technology is partially to blame for our lack of sleep due to people being hooked to their smart phones, computers, and flat-screen televisions. Studies show that all technology should be turned off at least 30-60 minutes prior to your bedtime to allow your brain to detox. So for those of you who fall asleep with the tv on, even if it’s on mute, your brain is still active do to the waves coming from your tv and keeping your brain activity going when you should be resting.
A lack of sleep also accounts for increased stress in our daily lives. Think about it. Don’t you know a pretty big number of stressed out people? People are stressed like never before and with good reason! Life, though beautiful, is stressful! Some stress about money, others about getting good grades, and many of you reading this are stressing over your acne! For every hour of sleep you lose a night, studies show your stress levels increases 14%! This can severely worsen acne. Dermatologist Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, of Danville, CA, states, “Stress increases glucocorticoid production, which can lead to abnormalities in skin structure and function, exacerbating conditions like acne.” 8 hours of sleep minimum are required every night to allow your body to get the rest it needs to function properly from inside out.
Researchers have found that it is easier to fall asleep and stay asleep if the temperature in your home is cooler than warmer inside. Set the temperature anywhere from 65 degrees Fahrenheit to 72 degrees Fahrenheit. Anything higher can keep you up all night, uncomfortable and sweaty! Some other tips on how to fall asleep more easily at night and stay asleep till the morning:
1. Again, turn off all technology and put your phone on silent. No distractions of this kind for at least 30 minutes before you hit the sack.
2. Decaffeinated tea with a little honey is a wonderful combination to soothe you before bed.
3. Take a bath in lavender oil. It is calming and relaxing and gets you in a beautiful Zen state of mind.
4. Read a couple chapters of a good book in bed before you fall asleep. Very relaxing and you will be asleep in no time.
5. Turn off your lights, lay on your back, close your eyes, and take deep breaths in through your nose and out through your mouth. Calming like no other.
Follow these steps on getting good sleep and you will notice much improvement in your skin’s texture and appearance. You have the right to have clear and beautiful skin but you must take care of your body. If you take care of your body, it will take care of you! Now go and catch some zzz’s…